Monday, August 16, 2010

Sabbatical, Day One

Haven't done this in a while -- this seems like a good place to get back to it.

Today was the first official day of my sabbatical from work, and I formally began work on my next comic book opus, M.L.Walker's HERO CORP. Anyone within earshot and beyond of me knows that I've been building up to this for months - even years - now, and due to a confluence of good fortunes it's managed to come together quite nicely.


In the past few weeks leading up to today, I've drafted the complete thumbnails for the entire first issue (of six total planned), and am now working up the actual pages of art. I also started the script based on said thumbnails, and character design sketches, to keep their looks consistent.

My sabbatical lasts from now until September 26th, and my goal is to return to work with the majority of the artwork complete on the first issue. I've budgeted time to allow for the penciling of a single page a day until all 24 pages are complete; then I'll switch to inking them all, at the same pace. That's a professional rate, which is ultimately what I want to do.

Around the edges I'll also be completing a formal script for the first issue, as well as character design sketches and illustrations of approximately 20 characters for HERO CORP. INTERNATIONAL DAY (which just happens to coincide with my birthday)! At that time I'll ask my friends and family to change their facebook photos to their H.C. portraits for a day.

Yes, it's a lot of work. But there's a reason for it.

My life plan is to attain a position where all of my artistic endeavors are self-sustaining. It all starts anew here. Today.

And I'm off to a good start. I managed to pencil two pages today, as well as work on a couple pages of script, and some location layouts (of the Epicenter, a focal location in the series). On top of that, I did laundry at 6AM, ran out to grab lunch and stretch my legs, and shopped at Giant Eagle this evening.

It's been a full day. It's been a productive day. Let's hope and pray I can keep it up.

After all, heroism is my business.

No comments:

Post a Comment